Wednesday, April 11, 2012

How to Save a Life

Today I was thinking about my speech again, and I got to wondering something; How do you approach/help someone you suspect may have an eating disorder?

I thought back to my own experience. Initially I had told my mom that I was not eating well and needed her help, but as my disease progressed, I no longer wanted the help that I initially asked for. My family and friends grew increasingly concerned about my health with the more weight I lost. The disease poisons your mind and turns you against the ones that love you. You don't see the need to get help, and their constant concern becomes irritating. So what do you do?

This is a question I have been struggling with for a while. I see people all over, on campus, at the store, with frail bodies that catch my eye. Because of what I have been through, I want to help them and tell them it can get better, but how do you approach that. Obviously I cannot go up to every skinny stranger and ask them if they have an eating disorder. But, how do you give them enough to know you care and understand what they are going through? I certainly don't want to make them uncomfortable, or make their battle any more difficult, however, I feel almost obligated to do SOMETHING. What if I am the only person that can recognize the disease, what if no one else says anything and they never get help? It is no doubt a very difficult thing to see a beautiful girl with a look of fear and emptiness in her eyes and knowing you can help her, but not knowing how to get that far!

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face" -Eleanor Roosevelt

Stay Strong and Beautiful! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment