Sunday, December 2, 2012

Recovery Challenge

It is the holiday season. I do not know one person, with ED or not, that does not find the holiday season stressful and triggering. I am guilty of engaging in harmful ED behaviors lately have decided not to let ED steal my holidays. I am dedicating December to a recovery challenge. I am already a few days behind, but from here on out I will do something every day that is about embracing recovery. The plan is to post each night about what I decided to do to take back power in my recovery.

Tonight, blogging was my act of recovery. I have been bad about keeping you all posted on my struggles and victories. This is my way of spreading awareness and the blunt realities of eating disorders. It is my duty to shed light on the reality of the disease. So, tonight by writing, I am playing my part in stealing EDs power. Eating disorders are such a secretive and "shameful" disease to a lot of people, and ED feeds off of this stigma. By writing, I am hoping to make that stigma disappear-taking away a little more power from ED. For all of you suffering out there here is what I have to say: There is NOTHING to be ashamed or embarrassed about. You have a disease as real as cancer, it is NOT your fault. If you continue to keep your disease a secret, you are only giving your disease power. That being said, you don't have to tell the world you have an eating disorder, but you should not feel ashamed if you do choose to tell someone. For every (supportive) person you tell and seek help from, you are winning the battle. And that is something to be very proud of!

Stay Strong and Beautiful!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment