Thursday, December 1, 2011

Message From My Mom

I asked a few different people in my life to write about their experience with ED to help give different points of view. Tonight I am posting what my mom had to say about having her daughter be diagnosed with anorexia. Feel free to email me your feedback (totally confidential) on things you wish to hear more about from her. My email is Kristin.Lucas329@gmail.com  Thanks so much for doing this mom, I love you so much!

Hi – it’s Kristin’s Mom. She asked me to write what it is like to be the mother of someone afflicted with an Eating Disorder. So, what do I tell you….. How proud of her I am? How our family pulled together to support her in a way that makes my heart sing? How very grateful I am for the wonderful counselors who helped to educate us all and give her the tools she needs to win? How devastating it was to first learn ED was abusing my beautiful baby? The emotional battles – anger, guilt, sadness, confusion, helplessness - of that first year? How I went from worrying about her every second of every day, to now having to remind myself sometimes that ED is still around as she is so strong on her own now? How terrifying it was to see other girls in treatment that had struggled for years and were so thin they were almost skeletal? How absolutely cool it was to see friends and family show up for the NEDA walk in Columbus? How touched I was when a business associate donated our t-shirts for the walk? How I’m looking forward to building a life-size Barbie with Kristin and taking it on tour to as many schools as we can get in to? How, even now when she is doing so well, I can’t help but hug her a little tighter to make sure she’s healthy? Maybe I’ll let her pick a topic and I’ll expand on one at a later blog when she needs another break! To my baby and all other Moms' baby’s who are struggling – Stay Strong and Beautiful xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment