Monday, November 21, 2011

Managing the Stress

The holidays are super stressful!!! I always worry about shopping, so I am trying to get most of it done online in the comforts of my home. As far as Thanksgiving goes, well I am still making my game plan. I am going to try to really focus on the THANKS part of Thanksgiving and focus on what life has given me. I feel like my average day is worrying about things to do, stress, or being mad about negative things. I really want to make Thursday about the good, because whether I pay attention to it or not, I have a lot of good in my life. The key to making it through all of the food, is removing yourself from the situation, mentally or physically if possible. How do you do that? Well here are some ideas:

  • Plan ahead
    • Know where you will be and what time.  
  • Know the food set up
    • At my grandma's house the food is set up buffet style (food everywhere!!!)
  • Find a "safe" room or space
    • This is a place separated from all of the food and maybe even all of the people
    • Go to this place when anxiety is too uncomfortable to sit with
    • Take some time to regroup here
  • Have a support on hand or on call
    • Not all of us with ED are lucky enough to have support from our families. If you are not going to be surrounded by supports on Turkey day, have one on call that will be available to text or last minute calls to get you through
    • For those who will have a support with them at the meal, talk to them prior to the celebration and give them a heads up of what you are feeling going into the situation
  • Be mindful
    • Holidays are about being with family, enjoy!
    • Our lives get so busy that it is important to take this time to really catch up
Take this time for yourselves!! Tell ED to take a hike while you enjoy your holidays. Good luck to you all!!

Stay SUPER Strong and ALWAYS Beautiful! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment